Use this papier maché earth craft as a project for Earth Day or an introduction to an Around the World geography theme.
"In the beginning God made the heavens and the earth." (Genesis 1:1)
Click here for a free printable illustrated Bible memory verse poster and cards of the above verse to add to this earth craft project.
You will need
a round balloon
1. In a large pot mix the flour and cold water until the mixture is thin and runny.
2. Stir in the boiling water and allow the mixture to simmer on the stove briefly and then set it aside to cool.
3. Tear the newspaper into long strips about as wide as a ruler.
4. Blow up the balloon and knot it tightly.
5. When the flour glue has cooled adequately, carefully dip each strip of newspaper into it, wipe off the excess glue and wrap it around the balloon.
6. Cover the entire balloon with strips of paper and then place it in a safe place to dry overnight (or for about 8 hours). We stood ours in a plastic bowl.
7. Cover the balloon with two more layers of paper strips, allowing each layer to dry inbetween.
8. When the third layer has dried, using an atlas or globe as a guide, draw the continents on your globe with a pencil.
9. Place some newspaper on your worktop and paint the land and the seas. Use one color at a time.
Variation of Earth Craft
While doing this project you could do as we did and also make a papier maché piggy bank.
1.After covering your balloon with one layer of paper strips, add feet, ears and a nose cut from a cardboard egg carton and secure them with masking tape.
[?] Subscribe To This Site
Copyright © 2005-2020, Shirleys Preschool Activities.com|
All Rights Reserved.
New! CommentsHave your say! Leave a comment in the box below.